How to use SL and VirtualPREX tools
Contacts - Project Team
project has been provided by the Australian Learning and Teaching
Council Ltd, an initiative of the Australian Government Department of
Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
The views expressed in this website do not necessarily reflect the
views of the Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
Creative Commons License
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence.
There are four phases to the project.
Investigation and pre-formative assessment survey:
investigation phase will focus on developing the pedagogical and
assessment principles that will guide the technical design and
development of VirtualPREX.
focus will be on developing a model of an effective, repeatable
approach to using and evaluating a virtual space for teaching and
requirements for the role-plays will be established based on key issues
impacting on pedagogy and classroom management that are experienced by
teachers in school and classroom environments as identified by focus
groups of experienced practicing teachers.
- A model for the design of 3D virtual worlds will be developed based on situated learning and social constructivist theories.
model will guide development of activities for use in VirtualPREX that
can be integrated with offline course work, practicum experiences and,
through self, peer, summative and formative assessment, to certify and
skills and knowledge to support pre-service teachers in the virtual
world and professional development and support mechanisms required by
teacher educators will be identified.
Development and validation:
- Bot primary school students will be created - developing activities to enable meaningful interactions within the virtual world:
- combination of role-play, both planned and spontaneous
- scenarios and case studies
- formation and support of a virtual community of pre-service teachers
- The virtual classroom and machinima will be tested and validated by pre-service students from the partner universities.
Implementation and post-formative assessment survey:
- Implementation of the 3D virtual world and the agreed model.
Analysis, reporting and evaluation:
- Final report prepared.
will continue through conference and journal presentation of results
and workshops, both face-to-face and in Second Life.